Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Songs.

I was thinking about the different genre of songs and how people often comment on how disgusting a song or a typical genre of song can be. So what exactly is disgusting about these songs? I typically prefer those quite, peaceful songs. Some pop or rap ones are nice too. I also seem to have a particular fondness of chinese songs.

I guess why some people hate a certain song genre is because they do not truly understand the genre and do not know how to appreciate what that is special. I could not understand why people even like rock and pop songs before, to me, they are just random beats and "noise", there is not much melody in it. However, I realised that my definition of music was wrong. Music is something that evokes emotions in us, any kind of emotion. My definition was something that calms you down. I have since learnt to appreciate pop and rock music.

Different pop or rock songs have their special rhythm, something that evokes excitement, something that makes you actually reflect on the lyrics. Different artists also have their own special voice tone, something that everyone can appreciate. I can feel what the singer is trying to convey his/her emotions to us just by listening to his/her music.

Rap music are special in their own way too. Rap music also has interesting rhythm, however it has another type of property, it is articulation. Articulation is rather hard to achieve, since rap music are often fast and rapid. Breaths have to be taken in fast. Listening to certain rap music sometimes motivates me to compete a task. The feeling just could not be decribed in words.

Now onto the type of music that I specially like. You can say it is country music. Song artists like 苏见信,许嵩,周杰伦 are my favorites. The special effects they have in their songs are intriguing. Some of their songs actually make my tears flow. I think this is exactly what differentiates a good song artist from an average song artist. Their songs have great melody with deep meanings that could apply to everyone. It is a lesson learnt to every song you listen to.

People's tastes and likes cannot be changed or controlled. But I that by gaining a better understanding of a certain genre could help a lot.

No comments: